Sunday, November 6, 2011

My Hands Tremble Yet Again - a Soliloquy

Sholeh Wolpe translations of poems by Sheida Mohamadi in the Fall issue of Mead Magazine: http://www.meadmagazine.org/Wolpe_2.html


When


the sky


pulls its coat tight over its head, and


the rain keeps nagging, and


my pink doll


misses the sun…


I become weary of you.




When


the teacup on the table


is a crow starring at me


my throat begins to taste like caw caw.


Black-beaked clock


until dawn


black-beaked clock


till dawn


Clock…


The telephone goes mad with silence,


and I, go blue with you.




Aromas quit the house.


Happiness ditches me.


And the dirty laundry


keep spinning, spinning…




My mother’s silver spoons drift and dash in the kitchen. Un-ironed shirts


lounge over cactus trees. I put on your dirty socks and waltz


with your black striped pants. The house spins around this washing


machine, round my head. Dirty dishes play games on the kitchen floor.


I yell at the flower pots and blow out the candles. Happy birthday to me!


I bang on the typewriter and am drenched in your hands’ dried up sweat.


I change the TV channel to coax a yawn into my swollen lids.


I hate the pink nail polish bottle I found on the piano.




Black-beaked clock


until dawn


Back-beaked clock


till dawn


clock…..


Now


the sycamore’s yellow bluffs


and highway 118 …


don’t pass me by.




Strawberries,


like your expressions of love,


make me want to barf.


This month,


that month,


I come to hate you.


I hate you.




وقتی


آسمان


کتش را تنگ روی سرش می کشد وُ


باران هی نق می زند وُ


عروسک صورتی ام


دلش برای آفتاب تنگ می شود


من از تو خفه می شوم.



وقتی فنجانِ چای


کلاغ نگاهم می کند


گلویم مزه ی قار قار می گیرد


ساعت با منقار سیاه


تا صبح


ساعت با منقار سیاه


تا صبح


ساعت....


و تلفن سرسام می گیرد از سکوت


من از تو کبود می شوم.





خانه خالی می شود از بو


من از شادی


و رخت های چرک


هی می چرخند ...می چرخند


قاشق های نقره ای مادرم در آشپزخانه پرواز می کنند. لباس ها بی اتو، روی کاکتوس ها افتاده اند. جوراب های کثیف تو را پا کرده ام و با شلوار سیاه راه راهت والس می رقصم. خانه دور سرم و این ماشین لباسشویی می چرخد و هی ظرف های کثیف در کف آشپزخانه بازی می کنند و من هی جیغ می زنم سر این گلدان ها و شمع را فوت می کنم. تولدم مبارک! تایپ می کنم و خیس می شوم از عرق خشک شده دست های تو.کانال تلویزیون را عوض می کنم تا خمیازه بیاید در پلک های باد کرده ام .من از لاک صورتی روی پیانو متنفرم.



ساعت با منقار سیاه


تا صبح


ساعت با منقار سیاه


تا صبح


ساعت....


حالا


صخره های زرد سیکامور


و اتوبان 118 که از من ...


. نمی گذرند


توت فرنگی ها


مثل حرف های عاشقانه تو


حالم را به هم می زنند


این ماه


آن ماه


از تو متنفر می شوم.


از تو متنفر می شوم.

No comments: